With so many external obligations on your plate, it’s easy to lose sight of the commitments you need to make to yourself. Let today be the day that you stop and think about what a satisfying life means to you. Start with this list of basic promises you can make to yourself to stay strong and happy.
Promises to Make for Your Mental and Spiritual Well Being
1. Reduce stress. Chronic stress can take a toll on your body and your mind. Find relaxation practices that work for you, like taking a warm bath before bed or meditating each morning.
2. Continue learning. Your education is a life-long project. Broaden your horizons through reading, lectures, and classes.
3. Participate in meaningful activities.Pursue your passions, develop your skills, and build up a track record of accomplishments. Your achievements may come through your career or hobbies.
4. Flex your creativity. Creative pastimes sharpen your thinking and allow you to express your thoughts and ideas. Experiment with different mediums to discover your strengths. You may want to take up photography or write a novel.
5. Develop close relationships. Make time for your family and friends. List the reasons why you love your spouse and children. Give them your full attention when you’re at home. Schedule weekly coffee dates with friends to ensure you stay in touch.
6. Connect with the divine. Make your faith part of your daily life. Search for a spiritual community where you can feel at home, and share your journey.
Promises to Make for Your Physical Well Being
7. Eat nutritious foods. Treat your body to a balanced diet full of vegetables, fruits, and other whole foods. Cut down on sugar and replace unhealthy fats like margarine and beef fat with healthier sources like olive oil and salmon.
8. Exercise regularly. Incorporate more physical activity into your daily routine and work out at least 3 times a week. Do floor exercises during TV commercials. Buy a family gym membership.
9. Sleep well. Sleep helps your body and mind to stay in top condition. Go to bed and wake up on a consistent schedule. If you have trouble falling asleep, create bedtime rituals like drinking herbal tea or listening to gentle music.
10. Love your body. Appreciate your body for all that it does for you. Even if you want to lose or gain some pounds, you can feel good about your appearance and abilities.
Promises to Make for Your Financial Well Being
11. Stick to your budget. Put your finances in order by living within your budget. If you’re unsure about how to get started, pick up a book at the library or use financial software.
12. Increase your savings. Start planning for retirement or other milestones like buying a home or sending your children to college. Designate a portion of each paycheck to go directly to savings so you won’t be tempted to spend it.
13. Maximize your income. A little extra cash could come in handy. Plus, diversifying your income could help tide you over if you’re ever laid off. Consider selling a service or crafts for extra income.
14. Pay off your debts. It’s hard to enjoy peace of mind if bill collectors are on your trail. Address the issue head on. You may be able to negotiate a payment plan that will give you a fresh start.
Taking care of yourself gives you the ability to succeed in life and share your gifts with others. Make some meaningful promises today that will brighten your future and help you fulfill your dreams.